Monday, February 9, 2009

Speed Bumps

On our way to Mysore, I became acutely aware of the plethora of speed bumps in India. Based on what I have observed, this (along with portable metal gates randomly placed on the roads) is the primary means of controllling speed and flow of traffic. Poor Rohith kept wincing as he slowly eased his low-riding Honda over (or around, when possible) the larger of these speed bumps, often with a horrible scraping sound coming from the undercarriage.

On the way back to Bangalore after dark, it was particularly difficult to see the bumps coming up, as I did not notice that there were signs or markers of any sort. When I commented on this the next day in the office, I was told that there is not really any central authority that handles creation or regulation of these speed bumps. In other words, it seems that individuals or neighborhoods put them in as they see fit, if they feel the traffic is too much or too fast! I seem to recall a Malcolm in the Middle episode about this ;^)

The Air India show is this week. This appears to be similar to Seafair back in Seattle (except much bigger.) The festivities are taking place at the new Bangalore International Airport... the offices I am working in are on the main road to the airport. This morning I noticed a distinct change... my once sleepy hotel was bustling with activity and guests down for breakfast (prior to this, often I was the only guest eating at the buffet.) The road and traffic was even more crazy if thats possible. I'm not sure if I will get a chance to see any of the airshow. There is a rooftop cafeteria with a grand view of the outskirts of Bangalore, possibly I can catch some aerial acrobatics from there. Despite being a pacifist, I have always loved a good airshow... too bad those jets are designed to kill people. :^(

Again, back to work. Things are pretty crazy here, not to mention I am trying to keep up with developments back in Seattle. No rest for the wicked!

No comments:

Post a Comment