Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Picasa Face Recognition

Picasa is a pretty amazing piece of software.

It's a little confusing (sometimes I have to dig around to figure out where my pictured ended up, both on my hard disk and online) but my impression is that its so feature rich, I'm just suffering from overload. For the most part it Just Works, which is the correct mantra for user experience. And frankly I am kind of a power user when it comes to software, so the bar is higher (and a little different, as I like to have complete control over my PC) for me than for your average user.

But the coolest feature is after you upload your photos, on the web if you mouse over a picture of someone it recognizes a face, frames it and prompts you to 'click to name.' You can then link each face to a contact, and it offers autom complete, remembering all previous contacts, deduping the same people, etc.

Google, I salute you. Another good mantra of user experience: innovate and exceed your users expectations. Maybe I have been under a rock too long just working on back end code but I never expected such a feature to work as well as it does. Probably this is the beginning of SkyNet and we are all screwed but I am embracing the horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment