Friday, February 6, 2009

The other side of the world...

It continues to amaze me that almost all of my friends and family (excluding of course all of my new friends in Bangalore) are on the other side of the world from me. When I call my girlfriend when I get home at night, its first thing in the morning for her. When I wake up in the morning, folks in Seattle are just wrapping up work for the day.

I've been working with a team in India for over a year and a half now and I have gotten used to the logistics of it all. But its still a mindbending experience.

My commute to work is pretty short and not incredibly interesting but I'm still capturing shots of some of the sights. Here's a minaret from a mosque:
From Bangalore Day Seven


Despite some unrest and difficulties, its inspirational to me to know that India is a land of Hindus, Christians and Muslims all living together in relative harmony. If you think there is diversity in America you are way wrong, we would face real challenges trying to bridge as large of gaps of language, religion and culture (and even of diet, the first thing you are asked in every restaurant is whether you are veg or non-veg.) I guess these guys have had a few thousand years to work out how to get along. And it was pointed out to me that India is the worlds largest democracy, a feature worthy of respect. The public discourse is vigorous and healthy here!


This morning, Vikas showed me the worlds smallest coconut.
From Bangalore Day Seven


Also I never tire of the brightly painted trucks here. These are everywhere, the equivalent of US 18 wheelers from what I can tell.
From Bangalore Day Seven


sure beats the hell out of sillouhettes of bikini girls, or 'no fear' stickers.

back to work... peace, out!

No comments:

Post a Comment