Monday, January 30, 2012

Brewday!

Thanks to my friends Joe and Travis, they inspired me to fire up my homebrew gear and brew some beer!

We met up last Saturday morning and headed down to the Cellar Homebrew shop over on 145th and Greenwood. If you homebrew in Seattle, those guys are awesome. You just go in, select a recipe from the box, and then grab all of the stuff in bulk right there. Also they are very helpful with hops and yeast substitution suggestions, and they even installed a high-temp weldless spigot and valve in my keggle for $30!

Joe and Travis picked a nut brown recipe, and I stuck with my old standard: Yard Sale pale ale, an american pale ale with honey, orange peel, and lots of extra hops thrown in (in my own ghetto version of 'continuous hopping'.)

At this point, we had steeped our grains, and were adding the malt extract, honey (or brown sugar for the nut brown) and boiling hops.





Pouring in the malt is always fun... ooey gooey.





The propane tank kept freezing up, which would cause the flame to almost go out. we found that we had to keep the tank up next to the burner to avoid this... note all of the ice on the tank in the lower right.





Here we are cooling the wort after the boil was done. you run hose water through copper tubing that is submerged in the hot wort; I capture the first bucket of (hot) water that comes out and use it during the cleanup!




Here we are racking the nut brown...




and finally racking the pale ale...




After we pitched our yeast, I placed the carboys next to my furnace vent and got them to a nice steady 70 degrees... Now that is 10 gallons of happily fermenting beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment